View Single Post
Old 03-01-07, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon g View Post
Just playing devil's advocate here, but what's the difference in chilling your insect and finding a 'pre-chilled' one first thing in the morning. Are we just effronted that someone doesnt share our work ethic, and feel they should put some work into getting the image instead of lying in bed for and extra hour or two?
What Nogbad said. And ...

Insects have strategies for surviving the night. They adopt a resting posture on suitable vegetation, and in the morning the sun warms them so they can become active again. If you release a cold insect at mid day, it is vulnerable to predation from active creatures. If you go to a site before sunrise, and take pictures, as long as you take care, you cause no harm.

But for me it is all about honesty. A chilled insect posed on a twig is not demonstrating authentic behaviour. Who knows if that insect would ever have posed on that vegetation in that manner. The photographer is creating a fake.

But if the insect is photographed against a plain background with no pretence, that's fine by me. (As long as the insect is common of course.)

Similarly a photo of a captive bird, or a zoo animal is less appealing to me. Though I have seen nice pictures, including on WWF, of captive animals. As long as the photographer makes it clear the animal is captive.