Thread: Image Comments
View Single Post
Old 05-02-18, 19:12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
... with the general public interest in photography waning...
I'm not sure this is the case Rob, although it maybe depends on how one defines photography. Facebook reports around 350 million pictures being posted per day & Instagram around 40 million per day. OK so you could argue with some justification that those posters are not interested in photography as an art form. But if you look at Flickr, which think has a much greater number of "photographers" they are still reporting ~50 million per month.

I wonder how much any lack of general public interest is do to the rise of the phone camera. Convenient, always with you, generally does a reasonable job of exposure & adjusting ISO to get a higher enough shutter speed make shape images. But actually creating interesting, creative images with a fixed ~30mm equivalent, fixed ~f2 lens is quite challenging. It much easier to create interesting images with a "proper" camera where you have more creative control. Without any training about how to creating interesting images (composition / angles / view points etc etc ) phone camera photography is like candy floss - instant gratification but no long term satisfaction - which maybe contribution to the waning interest to which you allude.

I have in mind to develop a training course to try to address the issue of boring phone camera photography - of course whether anyone enrols or not remains to be seen!