View Single Post
Old 31-01-10, 23:01

I agree that "what takes place when looking in the view finder" is vital and indeed one of digitals downsides is the temptation to "rescue" a shot which is poor in the first place which is a big mistake. That is however more of an indictment of the photographer than the digital process itself.
Given a good shot in camera I want to maximise the potential and make the shot purely my work from start to finish. No excuse when it fails so I can learn and move on, real satisfaction when it works. You want the same thing when you choose focal length, shutter speed, aperture, whether or not to use filters and which ones and even the film you choose. I just want to do that and then take things further so I can draw out every last bit of how I want it to look and make it all my own work. I am not a PS aficionado (Elements in my case) and do not do any of the fancy stuff but only the equivalent of what I used to do in the dark room,crop, control contrast, burn, dodge and that sort of thing. I only do it to the few shots worth doing, the equivalent to your 3 or 4 shots a roll. That is not time consuming and any way I enjoy it, watching a picture "come alive" as I work on it. I just feel you could get so much more out of your photography if you took full control, it is very fulfilling to know the shot is unique and all my own work. Full creativity and digital just makes it so much easier to accomplish.