View Single Post
Old 21-06-07, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
I'm going to take issue with one item, however, and that's "cleartype", or, as it ought to be called if we had proper truth in advertising laws, "blurrytype". Just to confirm that my earlier tests of this "enhancement" were not mistaken, I followed the advice and switched it on just now. YUK! It's terrible. Here is a pair of screenshots. You shouldn't have any difficulty telling which is which.)
Tony,

I suppose it's the classic caveat of "Your mileage may vary" (it took me ages to find out what YMMV meant in forum posts). I was fairly horrified with the appearance of text when using the default XP settings. Text appeared very spidery, with the thickness of the text strokes varying depending on the angle and position of the line. Being pretty apalled by this, I did a bit of digging and found the cleartype trick. Certainly for me, using the VP930 at 1280x1024, it makes a huge improvement. I have to agree, your screenshots do seem to indicate you aren't getting the same benefit.

All I can suggest to others is give it a try. If it works for you, then great. If it doesn't, then switch back.