Thread: TC Musings
View Single Post
Old 23-03-07, 00:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
Have you tried a 2x TC on your 500mm lens? Andy has some results with a 600mm F4 + 2x TC that are surprisingly good. And Arthur Morris has some in his bird book that are also surprisingly good. At least one of his pictures stacks TCs i.e. 1.4x + 2x.

I think we also need to remember that most of us are testing teleconverters on APS cameras. That means that any edge softness is going to be reduced. That said, I've tried a TC14A on a Nikon 75-150 F3.5, a Nikon 200mm F4 AFD micro lens and a Sigma 400mm F5.5 APO Macro, and the less said the better. The best of the bunch is the 75-150 zoom + TC which is surprisingly sharp, but CA is excessive. The TC14A is said to be for lenses less than 200mm so maybe that explains the results.

I've taken many excellent sharp photo's on my Nikkor 500 f4 AFS with a TC20E, however they still don't have the crisp bite of the 500 f4 plus TC14E combo. I've also obtained similar results using a Tokina 150-500 f5.6 ATX and a TelePlus 2X converter at 500mm (1000mm effective). Having said that, both lenses are of exceptional quality and among the best in their class. There are times when everthing is right and all things come together that you can obtain photo's which are way above the quality you could expect from the equipment being used. One particular instance I remember was when photographing Short-eared Owls, I was working from a hide, Olympus OM1n, Tamron 60-300 f5.6 SP at 300mm f8, Hoya 2X converter (600mm f16 effective) Kodachrome 64 slide film, Sunpak GT32 flash unit set up off camera outside hide. Here's one of the resulting photo's.

nirofo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Short-eared Owl.jpg (192.3 KB, 15 views)