Thread: Memory
View Single Post
Old 07-03-07, 14:20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowyowl View Post
If I buy memory, am I buying additional memory or am I replacing the memory that's already in the computer.
Could be either. Motherboards ususlly have 2, 3 or 4 slots for RAM and it dependes on what is installed and how many slots are already in use. For example if your board has 2 slots with 128Mb sticks of RAM in each you will have to go down the replace route. If you have 2 slots with 1 x 256Mb stick then you could just buy additional. If you open up the case you should be able to see how many slots you have and how many are free.

Quote:
Looking at online adds I seem to need to know how many pins I need. Presumably the shop will know that if I tell them the make and model computer?
Shop assistant know what they're talking about Must be different in Canada Dan. When you open up the case, take out the existing RAM and it usually will have a lable on it which tells you what sort it is - whether it is DDR or DDR2, probably DDR, number of pins 168/184 etc, speed either in Mhz 333/400 etc or as PC 2700/3200 (Mhz x 8 = PC ) and CL2.5/3 etc. You must match DDR type & number of pins (otherwise it wont go into your board) and usually CL as well. Speed - again try to match but if the new is faster your mother board will limit.

Quote:
I can certainly afford to buy another 256 mb (assuming it is add-on and not replacement). Would that seem sufficient or do I need to go higher?
It depends on your file sizes and the more RAM you've got the better things will work. My recommendation would be to aim for 1Gb of RAM if you can - in UK you can get 2 x 512 sticks for ~£50

Quote:
How tough is it to install? I've changed other components in computers without difficulty but this will be the first ime for memory.Thanks!
Dead easy There is usually just a clip at either end on the slot, flick them back, remove the old RAM (if necessary), line up the new sticks - they will only go in one way round - and press them down firmly. Often the clips will automatically click back, but if not ease them back. Reboot and your machine should fly.