View Single Post
Old 19-02-06, 18:12

My own experience of joining a photographic club has been quite good.

They meet throughout the winter, and there appears a good split of male/female members. The qulity of images and degree of experience is quite broad.

There are regular competitions and new members are actively encouraged to enter prints slides etc for comment, experience etc.

There is a new members only competition towards the end of the winter programme and is encouraging.

There are regular talks and slide shows, outside judges to judge the various competitions, and also a chance for members including new ones to judge the internal competitions. I have judged twice (quite nerve racking I can tell you!) but a good chance to look closely at images for what they are composition, lighting, content etc. It is quite enjoyable.

There is a huge range of diversity of what people take photos of and it is interesting to see what others consider a good image.

Also there are regular workshops re still life, portraits etc including tasters on Photoshop manipulation.

The social side of it is quite good. Especially as I'm not particularly good at mixing, I have made a number of friends, and look forward to the evenings.

All in all I would say my experiences have been good, especially as a complete novice with an expensive camera who was'nt sure what a good image was.

I would encourage any newbie to attend.

Like all things in life there are always those who have an exagerated opinion of something, i.e. film or slide over digital, B&W over colour, etc.

However if you have an open mind and take from the experience that which you need it can only benefit your photography in the long run.

As an inexperienced photographer and a newbie to this fascinating discipline I hope those of a similar experience continue to get the most from a club or especaily WPF which is an ideal medium to get experience and advise in an subjective and non judgemental atmosphere.

Enjoy the experience!

Nogbad