Thread: "bean" Bags
View Single Post
Old 23-02-06, 00:28

Just one point which may be of interest, the bean bag works far better if it is quite heavy and not too tightly filled. e.g. A telephoto lens sits far better if you are able to snuggle it down among the beans (whatever). I make my bean bags 12" long by 9" wide, with a 2" wall all round, (takes a lot of beans). I also make a platform to sit over the car window, this is basically two pieces of 2" x 1" x 8" wood with strips of rubber glued to one of the flat sides. Onto these 2 pieces of wood is screwed centrally a platform of 3/8" plywood 8" x 11", the 2 pieces of wood need to be fitted fairly tightly to the thickness of the glass in your car window before screwing on the platform. The bean bag then sits on top of this platform and hangs over the edge, it is held in place with velcro. I use this setup regularly with my Nikkor 500 f4 + 1.4 converter, sometimes even my 2x converter. It is very stable provided you don't rock the car. The platform is large enough to enable you to leave the lens on it hands free while you wait for something to happen.

nirofo.