Thread: Macro Lenses
View Single Post
Old 14-07-06, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
First things first, I am a new member and look forward to learning new things and contributing when my limited experience will allow, so can I just say Halo to you all and Merry Christmas - All the best for the new year to all.

I found this thread indeed this site whiles looking for a macro lens and learn something of the techniques used to obtain good results,
I know the attributes of the 500D and indeed have experimented with this on a number of lenses but would like to have a more dedicated setup such as the Canon 180 mm f/3.5 macro with my 1.4 TC and perhaps a set of extension tubes! This was my original thought-!! but having looked around for some time in many forums and reading countless revues on the subject I am left sumewhat confused on the lens issue and this is what I am left with.

Canon 180 mm 3.5 macro:-
To heavy, Old technology, to long and newer lenses are equal if not better in sharpness, Expensive.
Tamron 180 mm 3.5 SP Di macro:-
Poorly built plastic body, not as good in sharpness as others, clunky operation, lens foot is fragile, lens extends externally.
Sigma 180 mm 3.5 EX macro:-
Not as good as the Canon, Soft.
On the other hand if I was to go with the Canon 100 mm 2.5 macro that most consider to be a great lens but to short for flighty objects such as insects.
At this moment in time I am looking into the mid range macro:-
Sigma 150 mm 2,8 EX macro:-
Better sharpness than its 180 brother and as good if not better than the Canon 180,Not to heavy, Solid build, Fast and has added bonus of being a good portrait lens.
It sounds like I answer my own questions but this is just things I have picked up from here and there and not a collected debate of the pros and cons of these lenses by real people that have used a number of macros or perhaps have years of experience in macro photography,
Its for this reason I am making this post and would like to here your opinions on my observations, as I say I am new to macro and a hand up would be very much appreciated.
Just to say I have seen fantastic shots from all the above lenses on pbase and others with the exception of the Canon 180 mm but then the price of this lens may be a factor in that there are less people with the lens.

Hi

Just joined this forum and have just posted some images using my D70 and my brand new Sigma 150 - appears to be a cracking lens and the working distance is great. Fact that it is internal focus is also very useful and I am impressed with the results I have been getting so far. Check out those I have posted. Don't think you would be disappointed if you bought this lens.

Cheers

Stuart R.