View Single Post
Old 23-08-10, 21:33

Why not justify the preference? I'm saying why I like it, and I say that because I like it! Mike, you've got me wrong ;-). If I didn't like film I would have thrown out all that mechanical stuff the minute the EOS 30D rolled through.

When I say 'no subtlety' I am of course referring to the giant bulk of the 30D. It instantly makes you look like a pro and I find that makes people wary, whereas someone with an antique instantly comes across as a harmless amateur, even though it may be a very high quality camera like a Nikon F, Olympus OM, Pentax K or Leica.

The finder is probably the biggest beef I have on the 30D, for two reasons: 1. It's too small for my preference (the OM has a giant, very bright finder, I daresay larger than the one in your F3HP Don though probably not by a lot). The second complaint is that the camera settings that appear in the bottom of the finder when the shutter is half pressed (aperture, shutter speed, exposure compensation) become invisible when in bright sunlight, to the point that I accidentally left it on +1 compensation and ended up with 20 crappy pictures (until I noticed in replay).

Now that I develop my film it takes me around half an hour from start to finish, and another 20 minutes for scanning. If you want to import some 100 odd photos, sift through, edit the good ones to perfection, it would take me well over an hour. Maybe it's just me.

Well, in answer to the question I asked in the title, the EOS 30D is certainly a tool and not a toy (though it is very easy to use it as such). However this still doesn't stop my love for film, especially B&W.