View Single Post
Old 27-10-09, 23:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaz4 View Post
Well done for getting over the nerves bit...Like I said,I've only really done one wedding properly(I've done the odd 'snapshots' at the register office)And...Yes...The night before, I went to the wedding rehersal to sort out where I could take pics from and exactly what was required...On the day....Mr relative with the video camera plonked his self right in front of my tripod and had the cheek to ask me to move over......Can't really have a punchup in church....:-)I did get some really bad shots of him afterwards at the reception.:-)
Sharon
The nerves do die down, though I usually get uneasy a day or so before. With regards to your video chap, I would have asked him to move, if I'm paid to do a job and he isn't then I take priority, that's what I'm there for.

In the case of our video chap this is what he had to say, I've added in my comments :-

Quote:
Having produced wedding films for the last 12 years I have built a broad experience of what happens. (This is actually a lie, he has only being doing this for 5-6 years at the most, prior to that he was chairman of the local amateur video club)

This is particularly so as using 4 cameras there is little that escapes my notice during editing where I may see the same sequences of shots many times in that process. (He uses 4 cameras, and expects us not to get in his way)

So I hope you do not mind me pointing out something's which will help you in your progress towards that elusive perfection. (He knows nothing about us, and has not seen our work. He also has no idea how long we have been doing this. 18 months as a paid services, prior to that we had been doing it as a free service for a couple of years to build the confidence and experience)

The first is that you are at the opposite or wrong end of the scale to being unobtrusive you are to be blunt obtrusive.

Neither you or I are there to draw attention to ourselves. That is difficult enough just standing there. We are there to record as fly's on the wall not to make our selves noticeable. Regret to say that in instances my clips show you took the attention of the congregation when all heads turned in your direction during an important part of the ceremony. There were also distinct looks of annoyance at the racket the cameras were making. (He has four cameras which fill the front of the church, 3 on tripods and 1 on a gyro-mount over his shoulder. Our style it journalistic, I move around and get different angles, so far no one has complained. We also interact with the guests, chatting and joking to put them at their ease.)

All photographers working with assistants in the island keep to their areas. One at the front one at the back. There is no need for both photographers to be in the front of the church. It would be worth if you can observing SW, PT & CK among others carrying out their work. You just do not notice them carrying out their work. They also work on the opposite side to the side I work which is true professionalism. I do not get in their way they not in mine. (I've amended the photographers names, the reason we get bookings is that we are none the above and have a different styles and dare I say personalities, I've heard some bad reports about at least two of these guys)

During speeches you will not see any good photographer standing close to the speaker. Again you were working the same side as my cameras blocking the view of two of my cameras. So easy to work the otherside. SW for instance will kneel down between tables & guests not to block their view. (I did, but again I like to get different angles from the norm, I spoke to the groom from this wedding, he had no problems with our approach)

Despite asking you, continually, you stood in front of my cameras even when not shooting. That is just not professional ! (4 Cameras, how could I miss)

J sprawling on the floor in the church is just not on you bring attention to yourself. Do not forget it is a sacred place to be respected as is the ceremony of the marriage. We are all there on sufferance. (She sat to one side to get the exchange of rings from a different perspective, sprawling, No !)

Ian walking behind the altar during a service is just not on. This is both in respect & also drawing attention to yourself & away from the ceremony. (He was correct, I had to walk behind the alter, to get out of the way of his cameras. But in our defence the Priest was happy for us to go wherever as long as we didn't get in his way.)

During the lovely service of the exchange of rings there is a massive explosion of shots. The above photographers will take one frame. At times I counted an average of 20 shots per minute. This generates 20 clunks of the mirror & they are large clunks. (We took 12 shots, 6 from mine and 6 from my wife's. The reason being we weren't using flash, and having to hand hold 1 70 x 200 and a 1D Mk3 with a 28 - 70, neither bits of kit are light and to ensure we get the shot, we take several.)

Unless you amend the way of working we are all going to be disciplined in the way we work. (He seems to think that he is some-sort of self imposed regulator of wedding photography)

Speaking to one of the ministers at St B a couple of weeks ago annoyance was vented on a couple of photographers who were making "such a racket" that she nearly stopped the service. The Rector told me he would ban some photographers. He has banned one videographer. So care is needed. (The Rector is a friend of ours so I tackled him about this, the only person he has considered banning, is this videographer)

We now have a section on our booking forms asking for details of any videographers booked, if it is this Muppet, then we will politely decline the job. If the happy couple are considering a videographer but haven't booked one then we recommend his immediate competitor.