View Single Post
Old 20-08-06, 15:32

You first really need to look at the system as a whole, and the fact that you are choosing Canon or Nikon suggests you have already done so. I see no significant different between the two systems though others might disagree.

Camera wise, the 350D feels cheaper and more plasticky that the Nikon D50, but I doubt there is any real difference in toughness or quality. The 350D unlike the D50 has mirror lock up which I regard as near essential if you want to do macro or long lens photography. I had huge problems getting sharp images with an F80 and a 200mm lens as it had no MLU. The 350D also produces noticeably higher resolution images. I think I am correct in stating that it has the same sensor as the 30D, and that it is close in resolution to the Nikon D200. (According to dpreview tests and comments by Klaus Schroiff on Photo Zone.) So IMO the 350D is a noticeably better camera and were I to choose a system from scratch, then I would choose the 350D.

When I examined the two, I was struck by the small mirror in the 350D. So I would check the viewfinder if I were you as it might be dim. Mind you, the D70 viewfinder is awful, and I suspect the D50 is no better. I also think you should examine both cameras to determine how they feel to you. Do you like the shape? Do you like the controls? Canon tend to be a bit slower to operate as you need to use the menus, whereas Nikon tend to be more button oriented.

But the Nikon 17-80 kit lens is a bargain. I have heard that cheap Canon lenses are not so good. There are reliable lens tests on Photo Zone that should help you decide.

Whichever you choose, you will end up with a nice camera and hopefully you will enjoy playing with it for many years.

BTW I use Nikon and have never used Canon EOS. (I mention this so that you know where I am coming from.)

Leif