View Single Post
Old 24-03-07, 19:16

I can recommend the Nikon Coolscan range too. I'm still finding out what the scanner can do.....the only real poor scans I've had from it have all been down to my operational errors.
Bob, particulalry after reading that you want to use it then sell it on, I would personally recommend you go with a secondhand Nikon, Canon, or KonicaMinolta unit rather than a PlusTek unit. It isn't very good compared to the main branded items. and the branded units hold there price better in the secondhand market .
The real test for any, but especially the cheaper end scanners is to put any transparency through it, not just Kodachrome, some just can't handle the contrast and 'bleed' is a result.
In my experiences so far (I don't think I'll ever stop learning, and I've made plenty of mistakes along the way) is transparencies scan BETTER on my Nikon V unit than colour negs do.
Unlike you tho, for the time being I plan to keep the scanner and get better at that end as it seems the scans rather than the original is the element with my pics that keep letting me down so far!

Good luck