View Single Post
Old 20-03-09, 21:22

Default Fuji S5 Pro review

haven't posted a review of the S5 Pro - and when I looked at the current prices (sub 500 for body only) - I felt I should

I have to say the Fuji S5 has to be the best camera I've used

perfect combination of a D200 body (therefore excellent handling and useability) - and a superb sensor (Fuji SuperCCD) are almost a perfect combination

the secret is in the sensor which although only gives 6 MPixels of actual detail (although really more like 8 Mpixels) - produces amazing Dynamic Range.

reason for this is that 6 MPixels are biased towards the light, and 6 Mpixels are biased towards the dark - this really expands the dynamic range - and its immediately noticeable. Not only does this give far more latitude when processing photos (you can even get away with photos at +3eV over what they should be !) - it IMO produces superbly punchy photos (very analogue looking)

I'd say the Dynamic range is almost that of slide - and is I think tested as higher than any other DSLR - apart from perhaps the top of the range (£4k+) canon.

for < £500 I'd say its a no brainer - buy one and give it a whirl

just don't let the lack of MPixels disuade you - the colours and DR are far more important when it comes down to it

Mark.