View Single Post
Old 18-02-06, 05:42

Had my first visit to a local group on Tuesday and i was made to feel welcome at the door, good start.

I had picked this as my first visit as one of the evenings subjects was Nature in close-up, something i have a little knowledge of (as opposed to photography).

A visiting judge gave a critique of each photo, awarding points and eventually a winner emerged.

My time on Birdforum had given me a decent background in wildlife pictures and i found myself at ease with the comments made by the judge,all of the photos were slides.

Part 2 of the evening was Portraits, i have no experience of this kind of subject so i sat back and listened carefully to all that was said.

The range of photos was extremely good one gentlemen had photos taken in the 1920's he is 84, and i learned he has just bought a digital camera.

All of these photos were prints, viewed by use of a light box, and the judge did a good job of explaining his thoughts, plenty of humour made his more telling points seem less harsh.

Afterwards refreshments were served, and a chance for a chat and the opportunity to close inspections of the prints helped round-off the evening.

The club are not really geared towards digital photos, so the only way to view this work would be through a print.

Members were 98% male, and predominantly aged 60+ most seem to be using film but are experimenting with digital.

I will attend a second time and i will try for a members night, hopefully seeing a greater range of images.

I also hope to find a few other local society's to check them out before i decide if this is for me.

Regards brian.