View Single Post
Old 26-11-10, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
Well speaking from happy ignorance I would suggest a fast a lens as possible. Also a zoom would be good as it gives you more composition options. As for settings I would try RAW to give you maximum quality as the dynamic range will be very high and it also gives you much more control of white balance. Meter off the main subject so probably need spot metering. No doubt somebody will add to what I have said or correct me.
Suggesting he get the fastest possible lens and then suggesting that he should get a zoom is surely an Oxymoron if ever there was one because zooms are never going to be the fastest possible lenses are they.
I know it may seem a lot more inconvenient but carrying a couple of fast primes will give far better quality images than using any zoom as with fast primes he wont have to ramp up the ISO too much to attain high enough shutter speeds to freeze the action or prevent motion blur. Primes are generally lighter than zooms too so a couple of fast primes does'nt necessarily have to weigh a lot more than a single zoom.
If he plans ahead and knows exactly where he will be shooting from in respect to the artists he can choose the best focal length prime/s for the job.
For instance, if he's close to the artists, a 35/1.4 for the wider shots and an 85mm f1.2 or perhaps an 135mm f1.8 for the close ups, should deliver the goods...But if he is seated at the back of the auditorium he may have to lug a big 300mm f2.8 or 400mm f2.8 with him...

Last edited by sigmasd14; 26-11-10 at 20:09.