View Single Post
Old 18-12-05, 20:25

Default Remote flash

You can quite cheaply arm yourself with a powerful second hand flash to add additional light or as a means of lighting within a tighter budget.

This is NOT a flash that will be directly attatched to your camera. The flash is to be remotely triggered by a camera system flash. Exposure will be a touch of trial and error.

There are now growing numbers of older flashguns on the secondhand market that are seriously good deals as they do not link into the modern high tech camera metering systems and people are trading in for those that do.

Trigger mechanisms are refered to as ' slaves '. When they register the light from a flash they trigger whatever flash they are attatched to. These come in various forms. When buying one the only real consideration is how in use it will register the ' master ' flash. If the camera with the master flash is to be some distance away then a long lead will be required to permit the slave to be situated near the master flash. These leads are low tech and therefore cheap.

For the remote flash get the highest Guide Number you can within your budget. When we come to the subject of diffusing the flash we are going to loose a fair bit of its light output.

I have attatched 2 pics of remote flashguns I use that also show a slave attatched. Both of these are well out of date by modern standards and are good buys. Cruising the net I have seen the 45CL for around £70. Mine was nearly £200 new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Metz 45CL_resized.jpg (41.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Vivitar 283_resized.jpg (67.9 KB, 47 views)