Thread: Raw vs jpeg
View Single Post
Old 07-02-10, 01:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufg1mp View Post
Done a quick search and noting came up, so i decided to post a topic instead.

This is a subject that really confuses me. Should I shoot in RAW? My thinking is i don't think my images are that good anyway. According to Rockwell there is no difference in quality compared to the maximum jpeg. Only the amount of data the raw image has allows you to edit the image later, something that the camera has already done for you.

If i was to sell an image what would say a magazine or a website require, a RAW file, or Jpeg?
Shoot in RAW, make a JPG, or a TIF from it, that way you've always got the original RAW image to go back to. You can make as many JPG/TIF images as you want from it without losing any quality each time you make a new one. RAW files should never leave your possession as they are your original image file and are your copyright. Any images you wish to sell to whoever should be made from this original file and these are also your copyright.

Most magazines prefer TIF files, but will accept high quality JPEGS if the subject is topical enough. Bird watching magazines in particular will quite often accept very low quality JPEGS if the subject is a rare bird. Websites generally only use JPEGS, I've never heard of one using RAW files as they have no means of rendering the file online.

nirofo.