View Single Post
Old 08-02-06, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
What speed increase should I expect by utilising SATA disks?
The fact that it will on it's own controller will help ( are your two current drives on the same controller ? ). The disk speed will be about the same 7200 unless you can find a higher speed one. if you can get a drive with a 8Mb cache or higher will be better than the 2Mb cache your current drives have. I am not a PC guru my back ground is Sun Server machines. Where todays SCSI drives are 15000 rpm 16Mb cache disk access of 3 ms. compare to your drive of 7200 rpm 2Mb cache 8 ms access.

I suspect if you get a 15-20% increase your be lucky and then is it worth at least £50 for the new hardware.

The bottom line of this maybe that the program is not well written for memory management and possibily suffers from memory leaks. One my functions is to alpa and beta test software for correct operation, crashing, speed and memory usage and get the problems resolved with our programmers.

I can't understand why it's grabbed so much memory in the first place and then using disk when free RAM is available. Photoshop is good at grabbing the memory but this something else if you have only processed one file.

A simple Disk Speed test to try. In Photoshop create a new file 150cm x 150cm 16bit rgb and save it as an uncompressed tif. This should write a 100Mb file to disk. On my system which is a lower spec PC than yours it took 40 seconds. If this is quick on your PC the I suspect NC is paging in and out chunks for memory all the time.

Are there any setting is NC related to memory usage ect ?

Where can I download this software from and a test Raw file ? Maybe I'll try it on one of our dual xeon dell servers when I return to work on Friday.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 08-02-06 at 21:57.