View Single Post
Old 06-12-11, 22:24

Default Chinese Lantern Photography?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place (I'm a newbie).

I would appreciate anyone's advice on night / low light photography of Chinese lanterns. (Hot air rising type, not static ones) how should I go about getting the right camera manual settings for effect.

My youngest daughter has just tragically lost her husband and she and my two grandaughters are coming to us in Cornwall for Christmas.

We have bought some in loving memory Chinese lanterns for them to launch on the cliffs close to where her late husband was born in Cornwall.

I have only just started digital photography (except point and shoot cameras) and have at my disposal a Canon 60D + remote release + EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS lens + EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM lens,a sturdy tripod and a Canon Speedlite 580EXII.

I bought the flashgun especially for this occasion and it only arrived two days ago. Having read the manual from end to end it is far from clear.

My guess to get the right effect there should be some natural light (Twilight) rather than total darkness.

The flashgun should maybe be mounted off camera on a second tripod and remotely fired from the camera.

If anyone has any advice (especially the speedlite settings to stop the shots from being blown out) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

George