View Single Post
Old 18-08-10, 16:45

Default 'G' Type and AFD lenses and extension tubes

So far in this thread I have only discussed lens to camera body issues. However on my catch up reading of what has been happening here I have found two threads discussing extension tubes and they raised the issue of aperture control specifically with 'G' type lenses. Threads referred to
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=5930
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=5936

So the whole issue of lens/extension tube compatibility is worth adding to this thread.

The 'G' Type len has only electronic control of aperture. No doubt doing away with the aperture ring simplified design and shaved cost, but is something older Nikon users moan about as it seriously limits the options for adding some form of lens extension, be it tubes or bellows as very few have the necessary electronic links to control aperture. Nikon did however go some way to keeping a lot of people happy with their AFS range of micro lenses as these do go to 1:1 unlike the AI/AIs variants 1:2, that required extension tubes to get to 1:1.

Currently Nikon do not have a tube or bellows that is compatible with 'G' type lenses, and so as far as I am aware users are limited to the newer Kenko DG Auto Extension Tubes, as they are listed as auto focus compatible with Nikon AF lenses including Nikon AF-S (silent Wave) lenses. Earlier versions are said to have problems with AFS.

With a 'G' type lens mounted on a basic tube with no aperture linkage, the aperture will be constantly at minimum. With tubes with an aperture linkage, athough you will get open aperture for manual focusing the aperture will close to minimum when the shutter is depressed. On the net I have seen a couple of hacks but you do need some workshop kit to get involved in that, and even so the aperture setting is more approximate than actual.

AFD lenses are usable on most bellows/tubes as the aperture can be manually set. However it is still important to consult your lens manual to ensure compatibility. I'll example that with Nikon's thinnest tube the earlier PK11. This was modified and released as PK11A with extra clearance milled for the CPU contact block of AFD lenses, but that relief is not large enough to accommodate the larger contact block of AFS lenses. So do not attempt to mount an AFS lens on one.

Note: When using Nikon's PK series of tubes, or any similar mechanical auto tubes, there is NO electrical communication between the body and lens. The lens must be manually focused, and of the digital cameras to date, metering will only be available on D1-D3 series and D200, D300 and D300s. All other cameras will have to be set to manual and exposure arrived at by trial and error.

Pic to show the difference between 'G' Type and AFD attached.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AFD and G Type comparison.jpg (129.5 KB, 8 views)