View Single Post
Old 19-08-10, 22:08

Great posting, as usual, Don. An alert to your post actually prompted me to log on here and catch up. I'm guilty of not having been on here for quite some time!
Quote:
The 'G' Type len has only electronic control of aperture. No doubt doing away with the aperture ring simplified design and shaved cost, but is something older Nikon users moan about as it seriously limits the options for adding some form of lens extension, be it tubes or bellows as very few have the necessary electronic links to control aperture.
By coincidence, I was taking to SRB the other day for a customer wanting to bring manual aperture control to his collection of rather nice G-type lens collection. The arrival of a batch of fresh catalogues confirms that these guys can make an adapter containing an aperture ring to bring control for G-lenses whilst 'off' the camera body/ fitted to an earlier non CPU compatable body. It's a bit pricey though, and if the optic installed to enable infinity focus is the same as the ones I've tried from the far east, it's a bit .....erm...nasty (to say the least). However, SRB seem to offer this same technology in extension tubes and lens reversal adapters options. Seems a nice idea to me, though I can't help but think it's probably a more economical option to buy another lens non-G lens ie with an aperture ring.