Thread: Curves
View Single Post
Old 06-05-06, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Firstly, let me apologise to Don for hijacking his thread, these things are sometimes like chinese whispers and the subject seems to end up totally different to how it started out

Pol, I seem to be having a problem with the way in which CS2 is blending your images in the example you have shown. The sky in the blended preview still seems burnt out in places, whilst the the shot taken at 0.0EV seems to look pretty good in the sky area. In fact the preview looks much like the one in the +2.0EV. So whats going on here? Could it be modified by switching off one of the images at the extremes for example. The sky area in the example you posted earlier in the thread seems much better to me, was that produced in the same way or is that the result of applying tonemapping to the resulting HDR image. If so I would argue that some of the tone we see in that other example is the grey infill that the plugin seems to apply to blown highlights.
I must admit I'm usually rather intriqued by what the CS2 merger coughs up in the initial preview. The histogram can of course be altered at the preview stage, though I've usually opened the unaltered preview version, converted to 16bit then used the "equalize histogram" or "local adaptation" - then done the tone-mapping.

The graveyard image is tone-mapped - that's how I retrieved the blue area above the roof..... after all, the components are there in the .hdr they are retrievable.

The Yew tree and churchyard were my first and only experiments at shooting a specific series (apart from that gate latch series) so I can't really claim to be any sort of expert.

I think maybe what I have concluded is that 3 shots at 1.5 or 2 stop intervals would probably be enough though - I reckon that should cover sufficient range. I think I probably overdid it with 5 and might be better trying bracketing another time.

What I actually did was started shooting with the shutter speed set at the reading from the sky - then worked down in 1 stop intervals until I reached the reading from the dark wall.

I suppose I could also convert the RAWs to 8bit jpgs then see what happenes if I create the hdr in the Photomatix basic freeware..... though the picci is just so boring I'm not sure if it's worth the bother.

I'd rather try to have another attempt only somewhere and something more interesting.

Pol