View Single Post
Old 24-10-11, 17:53

It depends upon several things, If it is upgradeable then you might add enough memory and possibly upgrade the bios and the motherboard drivers along with the sound and video card etc. You should be able to do most of it fairly easily and memory especially the old stuff is available all over,Look at flea markets used electronics shops etc and you should have a computer that will run Linux on a song.

There are distro's out that are used just for this and they run blazingly fast. I was given 7 old computers by the lycee here on our island as they didn't want them and the poisons added to our dump and into our ground and lagoon waters. I do them for the kids here who cannot afford a computer and thereby are being deprived of the future. The great thing about many of the distributions in Linux is the fact they can be changed completely to another language very easily. I do all my installations and set ups in English and when I am finished I change the language to French for our kids. I understand that is beginning to happen in Windows, but not using it I am not sure if it is a sure thing like it is in Linux.

Oh, for anyone who has an old notebook there are oodles of lite versions of linux distros written for them. I have 4 old notebooks that run very well using lite versions of linux. Here is a URL that might just help save you money in adding new life to your old obsolete computers as they stand today.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/203100989

Also google around and see what you can find, I am positive that your old horse hasn't taken it's last breath or pulled it's last plough (plow).