Thread: 500 mm lens
View Single Post
Old 10-10-09, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew66610 View Post
Hi does the Sigma 150-500 OS and the Tamron 200-500 lens give the same sort of results or is one a better quality than the other.

Andrew
Hi Andrew

I have been using the Tamron 200-500 for about 3 years now and can say without hesitation the quality of results is consistantly excellent. I also have a Nikon 500 f4 AFS which is second to none for image quality, what I can say without hesitation is the Tamron at 1/8 the price of the Nikon gives me results that I am hard pressed to distinguish between at times. Where there is no comparison is at the extremes of use, I can use the Nikon wide open and still achieve fantastic results, the Tamron I use stopped down to f8 to achieve more than excellent results, (at the 500mm end of course). This obviously means I need more available light or have to up the ISO rating to achieva a useable speed setting at f8. If I was working on a limited budget, or needed a lens which would give me more mobility when travelling then the Tamron is the way to go, it works well hand held for flight shots etc, (did I mention that I use it mainly for wildlife). It's lighter than the Sigma and according to many including myself, gives better results and that's what counts.

Here's a couple of shots from the Tamron.

nirofo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Redstart male.jpg (156.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Dunlin breeding plumage 4.jpg (179.9 KB, 15 views)