Thread: Dongles!?!?!
View Single Post
Old 27-10-08, 20:10

Quote:
2.I went for the '3' (Three) dongle as it was (and still is to my knowledge) the only one that you can have on a month by month basis i.e. you don't have a contract so you can use it for 30 days
All the main mobile players have this same 30 day option.
I was looking into getting a vodafone usb dongle, with a £15 per 30 day usage pay as u go arrangement for upto 3gigabytes download limit....for similar reasons, plus who's to say what deals will be on tommorrow?!
From the research I've done, and the hype I've read, if you're an occasional - light- medium user, the '3' network looks to be the one to go for, (which I've ordered, as I only need to wire a few pictures occasionally). £10 per month 30day/1gb limit, £15 30day/3gb limit or £25 30day/7gb limit. Which is nice for '3' network to offer the choice you can make each month. £1 per mb charge is made if you go over your limit though!!!
Heavy / highest speed usage looks to be best served by Vodafone (who I would be using now, had the order not be screwed up and customer services been useless...hence me giving up and redeciding '3')

If you do go for a contract one, the best priced was provided by T-mobile when I last looked on their website, 99p for the first 6 months, followed by £7.50 for 9 months, then £15 each month thereafter for a minimum 18 month contract.....deals are changing by the day though!
Personally I have more confidence in either Vodafone or '3' in terms of network coverage in Mainland UK.

One thing also...you get your modem 'free' with a contract. pay as u go 30 day options require you to buy the modem. '3' option has the E220 or E160G types...the later being the nicer 'pen drive' design, E220 has a separate lead. Maybe annoying if using with a laptop?

I've spent a while (too long) looking through the options for mobile broadband...it's a bit of a minefield I'd have to admit!

Last edited by Joe; 27-10-08 at 20:28.