View Single Post
Old 23-03-06, 21:49

Default Blown Hight lights

I had a free couple of hours this morning and the light was good so I trotted of to my local lake to get some shots of tuffed ducks. The male with it's white flanks often cause me trouble with blown highlights. I had the camera set to raw + jpeg so that I could try each method. Sods law they all come out OK. Walking back home a yellow flower on the bank caught my eye in the bright sunlight. I took a quick snap as I was now running short on time. A quick look at the preview it seemed OK and I headed home.

Normally I would never take a flower shot in full sunlight as often the colour is very dull and the risk of very high reflections.

I was hoping to post this in the gallery but it's been nomimated for Don's thread.

This is an example where such blown highlights the raw version does not save the day. The first image is the raw version with the exposure in ACR set to -3 ( I assume that is -3 stops ? ) You can see the highlights are still white. Second shot is the jpeg from the camera. Both version only fit for the bin.

It's a shame I did not have time to take more shots at different levels of under exposure.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 26-07-11 at 22:35.