View Single Post
Old 27-03-06, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski
I was interested to hear him say that many Pros shoot jpeg only because they don't want the over head of processing raw.
Rob,

I was just reading of a guy who has gone back to film. Reckons going digital was the biggest mistake he had made. Anyone who was having film processed by a professional lab before a switch to digital, would probably find they had picked up lots of work they did not have before.

I think a lot of talk on the RAW v JPEG has created the an expectation that if you are a pro you have to shoot RAW.

The other day I saw this arguement elsewhere, with JPEG being refered to as the equivalent of a Polaroid. As we are starting to truely understand the differences so I believe we are starting to understand where JPEG is a perfectly acceptable format and its limitations in post processing of high contrast scenes.

In view of some pros requirement for faster processing I can see that the in camera proccessing engine on pro grade cameras will improve. Through this thread I have been doing a fair amount of net reading. For weddings I would think that within the Nikon range for example, a D2HSs equivalent at 6 mp, with the D2X processing engine will give great out of camera JPEGS. Again its horses for courses. Fine for a lot of press work as well, but absolutly no good for what Stephen shoots.

Don