View Single Post
Old 06-02-06, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchai
I suggest you set your aperture at the widest opening so you will have highest speed. I consider speed slower than 1/400sec not suitable for wild birds.

See my birds pictures here:
I am puzzled ruchai have used the Sigma 170-500mm lens?

Looking at your recent shots in BF they all seem to be taken with a Nikor 80-400 VR. If these were taken wide open you may find your shots gain a bit more detail if you stopped down a bit.

In an idea world the 1/400 sec or faster is a good rule of thumb but most days I am happy if I can get 1/200 sec @ ISO 400 or 800.
If you open up the lens too far there can be poor depth of field or the lens is not at peak optical performance. If I drop below 1/100 sec it's time to think about packing up and going home. Now shooting Blue tits at less than 1/100 sec is a real challenge.

I think Christine's advice is good for this lens. My experience of Sigma lens is that many of them do benefit from being stopped down to improve the optical performance. It is a juggling act to get shots with low noise, good depth of field, sharp image and a high enough shutter speed to freeze action.

Who said photography was easy especially in the UK where the light is rarely brilliant.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 06-02-06 at 17:30.