Thread: Jessops doomed
View Single Post
Old 22-06-07, 15:43
Super Moderator

I'm sure that part of the problem stems from having multiple shops in one location, I know of a few towns that have 2 or 3 Jessops stores, there is no way that this can be a viable way of doing business. I assume and hope that the stores that are being closed are in these locations and will allow Jessops to re-build from a better position. (I do feel for all the staff who are laid off, I have been there myself so know how it feels).

I also feel that Jessops have been somewhat arrogant in assuming customers will pay their prices when the same products are available elsewhere a good deal cheaper. I know that Jessops will often price match, but who really wants the hassle of printing off the webpage and then going into the local shop try it. Once you've found the website that is selling it cheaper why not just buy from them? I don't understand the policy of dual pricing (different price in store and on their website), few thinks will annoy a customer more than buying a new camera only to see the same company selling it cheaper online. If they want to trade as 'clicks and mortar' then dual pricing must stop.

I think many customers would rather buy from a shop than the internet but are not willing to pay a high premium to do so. My independent local camera shop sells at competitvie price (sometimes cheaper than WHE), offers great service and a fantastic range of stock (they even hold the big primes in stock). With the buying power that Jessops must have I find it hard to beleive that they cannot be competitive...