View Single Post
Old 30-08-10, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
Aha, in terms of pure volume digital wins. However, digital always brings more volume: for example, over the holidays, I shot 4 rolls of film, or 144 pictures. On the digital camera over the same period of time there are more than 800 photos, and I usually took the OM with me out and about rather than the digi. So it does indeed take me less time to process 4 rolls of film with the following process: prepare darkroom (wait for lights out, shut door), mix chemicals (dilute developer, the rest are ready to use, bring to temperature in the fridge), develop (8 mins for two rolls of film, so 16 for all my holiday pics, add ten minutes for loading). Really the most time consuming part is the scanning, but of course as that happens you can always be doing something else in the background. With the preview scan facility I only do the time-consuming fullres scans on the photos I want.

Now imagine loading 800 piccies off a CF card and running them through a RAW engine, editing, deleting the crappy ones...it is indeed more time consuming. Certainly worth it, but more time consuming.
You're a bit stingy on the film Alex, I never used to go away with less than 50 rolls of Fuji Velvia and or Sensia 36exp slide film. When I eventually received my slides back from the processors, (up to 3 weeks in the Summer) I used to spend literally hours going through them on the light box, if I was lucky I would end up selecting perhaps one or two very good to excellent slides per film and a few useable spares just in case. These I would meticulously clean and scan into my computer using a Nikon Coolscan, if the scans were good then I would save them to my hard drive for working on later in Photoshop, having first given each slide a unique name and reference number. I might make several attempts at scanning a particular slide just to get the best possible image from it, sometimes they just wouldn't scan successfully and I would abandon them for possible use in slide talks. After all this the slides would be filed in a 24 slide hanging file in my filing cabinet and lastly my database would be updated with the latest additions. I mentioned earlier I spent hours, I should have said it could take several days to do it all properly, bear in mind I still haven't done any work on them in Photoshop yet.

By comparison I find working with RAW digital files a doodle, plug my CF card into my card reader, upload the images to the computer, 10 minutes max. Open my image viewer software on the computer, have all my latest RAW files right there in front of me as thumbnails, click on one that I like the look of to see it full screen. If I like the image I call up photoshop via the viewer program and do what needs to be done to it there and then, if satisfied I give it a unique name and reference number and save it to my hard drive. I LIKE IT!

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 30-08-10 at 21:05.