View Single Post
Old 09-05-06, 19:27

Hello Wheelr, as promised I am back. This is how I see it although, like you, I stand to be corrected.

Suppose you take two pictures with the same focal length and from the same spot, one on 35 mm film, the other on a digital camera with a sensor measuring 15 mm x 22.5 mm. Providing that the same level of camera shake is common to both shots then the blur on both images will be identical. To obtain a 10 in x 8 in print the film image would need to be enlarged 8 times. However, the digital image would need to be enlarged about 12 times and the blur would, be magnifide 50 % more. Hence the need for a faster shutter speed to reduce the blur. There may be an exception to this which I have yet to think through. If when taking the digital picture you moved further away from the subject so that the field of view was the same in both cases, then the final blur on the print would be the same in both cases (Ithink) and there would be no need to increase shutter speed. The answer to the question thus depends on your standpoint (ha ha). I would be interested in your comments.

By the way I think it would need a hell of a lot of camera shake to equate to the blur produced by a revolving propeller blade.

John

Last edited by John; 09-05-06 at 21:17.