View Single Post
Old 03-11-09, 17:37

Well I downloaded the G9 manual and that shows compatability with Speedlite's 220EX, 430EX and 580EX II all part of Canons ETTL system so I have had a look at them.

In Normal operation the G9 will fire a pre flash and this becomes an important consideration as it precludes the use of cheap optical triggers for the two secondary smaller flashes.

Speedlite 220EX appears to have been relaced by the 270EX but neither unit can be adjusted for output when off the camera, and cannot be triggered wirelesssly except by going the PocketWizard route and then cost is going to be a major consideration as these units are not cheap.

Speedlite 430EX : This can be triggered by a wireless transmitter ST-E2 mounted on the camera. It appears to lack the ability to wirelessly trigger other wireless compatable flashguns.

Speedlite 580EX II : This one can be wirelessly triggered via ST-E2 transmitter and is capable of acting as a commander unit to trigger other 580 or 430 units. For this option you would require the OC-E3 off camera lead as a cheaper option than the ST-E2 transmitter.

Where does this leave us at the moment? Not too good I'm afraid. Gone are the days of cheap flash solutions unless you have the right camera. From the above and without looking at independant flashunits from the like of METZ then it appears it is do-able at cost and that is primarily down to doubting that the preflash can be dissabled.

Option 1 : You would require OC-E3 camera lead, one Speedlight 580EX II to act as commander and two Speedlight 430EX as slaves. Full ETTL exposure control.
Option 2 : ST-E2 transmitter and three Speedlite 430EX. Full ETTL exposure control.
I dare not even look at Warehouse Express for prices for that lot.

It is possible that we can discount the pre-flash but INPUT IS NEEDED from any Canon user to this question as it works for Nikons :

If a hotshoe flash is set to MANUAL will that kill the pre-flash ???

If the answer is yes then you could be cooking with gas, and only require an OC-E3 camera lead or the ST-E2 transmitter if you are feeling like spending money, Canon 430EX or other independant with a few options for power settings, 2 optical slaves and any make of small flashguns to make up the set. AS these units will be triggered by the optical slaves trigger voltage is not an issue and anything from the used market will do. Exposure would be fully manual but as you are digital that will only take you a few shots to get the set up right.

Don