View Single Post
Old 12-08-06, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by G B-S.

I used the bicubic option as it was the default. Presumably this is best.
Yes - the 'cubic' bit means it's taking information from all the adjacent pixels to form the new pixels.

I haven't used GF (although I've got a free sample CD somewhere that allows 30 free goes before it cuts out - and no doubt then keeps reminding you to buy the damned thing ).

'Amateur Photographer' did a test some time back and GF came out best with the 'bit at a time' method described above by Don coming in second and the basic bi-cubic third, though with the quality of magazine reproduction I don't think there was that much difference visible to the reader - you have to trust the comments of the reviewer.

Whichever method you use, the best results will come when you use it to make a larger print than normal - big prints are usually viewed from a greater distance where the loss of resolution won't be too visible! When you try to enlarge a cropped area you're starting with the resolution 'stretched' to begin with and you'll probably be looking at it from the same distance as your full-frame images.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway