View Single Post
Old 12-08-06, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by G B-S.
Nirofo and Adey,

Thank you for the reply,

I have had a go following your instructions. The results were interesting, as you say a large file and a degradation in the quality.

I used the bicubic option as it was the default. Presumably this is best.

Genuine Fractals is new to me. Have either of you used this software?

Finally off topic – Nirofo is your avatar a Sea Eagle?

Cheers Gordon.

Hi Gordon

Interesting that you think your results so far are interesting, large file and a degredation of image quality. What increase in size are you talking about, I quite regularly scan my slides at approx 28mb and interpolate to 40mb plus using either Photoshop CS2, or Genuine Fractals 4, personally I can't see the difference in quality only in file size? These files are sent to various publishers and Photo agencies without comment, other than most now prefer to receive submissions from digital cameras rather than scanned images!

On another tack, I was asked recently to supply a photograph urgently of a male Blackcap feeding young in the nest for inclusion in a glossy brochure, the only image I had available immediately was a scan I had done for the web some time ago, file size was 193kb jpg. I opened this image in Photoshop, changed the size to 10x15cm x300 pixels/inch, now = 5.99mb. This image was used commercially and was more than adequate for reproduction purposes. This of course far exceeds anything needed for the web.

Attached is the image in question.

My avatar is a flight shot of a Griffon Vulture, taken in Andalucia, Spain using a Tokina 75-300 zoom at 300 f5.6 on a Nikon F90X, film was Fuji Sensia 100 pushed to 250ASA and processed at 200ASA.

nirofo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blackcap male feeding young.jpg (193.0 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by nirofo; 12-08-06 at 13:38.