View Single Post
Old 02-03-08, 17:54

Default Basic Computer Security

Over the few months that I have been a member of WPF I have noticed various members reactions to new viruses, wireless hackers and bogus email attacks.

Can I lay down some basic rules, that if you follow them, should make you and your computer safer.

1) Make sure you have an up to date anti virus program running at all times - don't try and do this on the cheap - use the best you can afford - Recommend - Norton, McAfee etc. These will charge you an annual fee to update your virus definitions but it is worth it.

2) Install your own Firewall software program - as a Mac user I use Open Doorstop X - Set it to STEALTH MODE so that if your machine is "pinged" by an outside source it gets no reply to tell them that there is a computer using that address. It comes with a companion program "Who's There" that tells you where things originate. ENCRYPT your wireless net so that your next door neighbours and any passing lap top or PDA cannot use your wireless net. Your wireless router should have a built in firewall but DO NOT rely just on this!

3) Use a good SPAM filter that learns each time you mark something as SPAM.

4) If you do not recognize the sender - "JUNK IT" or Delete it. Curiosity not only kills Cats but also COMPUTERS !!!

5) NO MATTER HOW TEMPTING DO NOT SET YOUR COMPUTER TO OPEN EMAILS, EMAIL ATTACHMENTS OR DISCS AUTOMATICALLY......... Set up your anti virus to auto scan them first.
IF YOU REGULARLY SWAP DISCS - DO NOT FORGET - JUST BECAUSE IT CAME FROM A RELIABLE FRIEND DOESN"T MEAN ITS NOT INFECTED.

6) A good ISP will do a lot of the work for you but I joined BT when it was just BT - I got on average 3 -5 SPAM MESSAGES a MONTH - since they joined with YAHOO it has Exploded --- Over the past 12 months - I received 18018 Emails of which 15453 were SPAM !!!!

7) ONCE A MONTH RUN A MALWARE PROGRAM OVER THE SYSTEM.

8) ANY OFFER ON LINE THAT LOOKS TO BE TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE - IT PROBABLY IS !!!!!!

THESE SIMPLE RULES APPLY TO BOTH PC's & MACS but it is a fact that there are far fewer things out there to harm a MAC.

Take care out there - BE SAFE.

Andy Miller

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!

Last edited by andy153; 02-03-08 at 17:59.