View Single Post
Old 27-12-05, 11:06

Default Comp. Pic. and the effect of each flash unit.

Into the workshop to tidy up this morning and thought of wolfies post as I regard him as a master of flash, and thought I ought to post the missing info from my previous post.

The camera angle may be a smidge out as I did not think to do this at the time. The flash units were however in position.

Picture 1 shows the effect of the SB80-DX. As it is direct ( no diffusion ) it has a hard light. Any shadows would therefore be quite harsh. This flash was the main ( key ) light.

Picture 2 shows the effect of the Multiblitz studio flash. Although a far more powerful unit it was used to provide some gentle fill light and provide catch lights on the shiney surfaces.

Note 1. If you are into coin photography ( archeological recording etc ) using a flash as in Picture I where it grazes the surface is great for highlighting delicate details that would be lost using soft overhead light.

Note 2. The sheer size of the light comming from the Multiblitz and the use of 2 side relectors could have been used to swamp the image in a soft light the equivalent of outdoors on a totally overcast day. The final image would show all the detail but would not have the same impact.

Oh no, only got one browser window open so I will have to edit to get the link. That will be to my first picture of the model taken with diffused light only

Don

PS That wont work so I will have to do another post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Comp Pic_SB80 DX on its own.jpg (72.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg CompPic_Multiblitz on its own.jpg (46.9 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Don Hoey; 27-12-05 at 11:28.