View Single Post
Old 31-12-05, 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
I really want to capture my little boy in this development and the purchase of my flash was purely so I could photograph him at night or when the light was bad. I now have a second flash and can be triggered remotely.

Here is the first attempt using two flashes, what do you think?
Hi Stephen,

Are you sure you don't want to take over on this thread ??

Truely very very good.

Not a trace of hard shadow to be seen. James is superbly in focus yet not excessivly sharpened and the lighting has that soft cuddly feeling that show children to their best. The diffused light behind James is perfectly balanced as there is no obvious sign that you did that.

Not so with this image but now for ......... Lesson 2. Catch lights in the eyes.

In any picture like this were there is an eye contact, when you view the image that is the first place your eye goes. A lot of proffesional photographers use a studio flash in a large softbox. They will aim to put a catchlight in the eye ( reflection of it ). A large square or round from a brolley is far better than a sharp pin point from an undiffused on camera flash. It does bring the eye to life.

When you first look at an image before working on it go to the eyes and check how the catch light looks.

Yes I know problems, problems. When you think you've got to the top someone puts another hill in the way.

Well you had better put this in your gallery now.

Don