Thread: DIY Ringflash
View Single Post
Old 29-12-06, 22:08

Default DIY Ringflash

Today was a workshop day making various brackets for use with flash. Boring machining jobs gives time for the mind to wander.

Two things came to mind during this. Christine ( Saphires ) DIY flash diffuser - see her wedding thread, and Harry's ( Wolfie's ) wonderful macro images taken using flash. The problem for me is Harry uses lots more flash units than I have. The two things came together with the thought of a DIY equivalent of a ringflash. Therefore only one flash, well I could handle that one.

I have a salad bowl sized reflector for the Multiblitz ( see post 12 ) and this got me thinking. Casting around the workshop I found a 7 inch diameter plastic bowl that I use for acid bath. I cut a hole in the back sufficient size to allow 2 lens hoods to screw together, one each side. A few experiments later I cut a square hole in the side to hold the Stofen diffuser from the SB80-DX flash. I taped a second lens hood ( bit of plastic drain pipe would do ) to the inside hood. Wrapped the whole lot in kitchen foil, and hey presto a ringflash for less than £5.

The whole thing needs refining ( make a proper job of it ) but I have attatched the first pic taken using it and a couple of views. The Fuchsia is full frame so not far off the bowl. I might get a 12 inch bowl for an even bigger light.

The flash is G/No 38 and was on 1/16th power. ISO100 aperture f16.

I'm impressed, so thanks Christine and Harry for the inspiration.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIY Ringflash 1.jpg (139.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DIY Ringflash 2.jpg (141.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DIY Ringflash 3.jpg (108.9 KB, 106 views)