Thread: DIY Ringflash
View Single Post
Old 01-01-07, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lello View Post
Hi Don,You do like a project don't you
I wonder if you're thinking what I'm thinking, Cutting the reflector on three sides to lift it from the bottom, attaching a mirror to the flap that will be angled down to reflect light down into the bowl? If so how much light do you think I will lose before it hits the mirror?
see attached for pop up flash
Following my post earlier today re using the camera pop-up flash with the ringflash setup I decided to check out that it would work.

I have attached a pic to show the card cowl required to deflect the flash into the ring. I found it essential to have the Stofen diffuser in position to spread the light in the ring. I did not have a small mirror to deflect the light so lined the box cowl with kitchen foil.

I have attached an image of the light at the front end of the bowl when flash fires. The double image is the result of using the double glazed workshop door for this.

Also attatched is a Fuchsia shot to show how soft the light is. Another test sample is in my gallery.

I will do a graphics job tomorrow as I am now at my daily image download limit, for today.

The Fuchsia was taken at 1/160 sec f11 ISO200 in near total darkness. The gallery pic, because of the lens/ringflash extension through using 2x converter, was 1/160 sec at f10 ISO400 again in darkness.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pop up ringflash composite.jpg (95.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Ring of light.jpg (68.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Fuchsia_ pop up ringflash.jpg (146.8 KB, 31 views)