Thread: Noise
View Single Post
Old 27-09-16, 19:42

Is it fake to edit your photos? As a photographer since 1950 I say editing is essential, especially when shooting in the raw format, so the quick answer is NO, but manipulating an image could fake the result.
A camera raw image file contains minimally processed data from the image sensor. This would be useless without converting/editing. Cameras have inbuilt electronics, which can convert the raw data into such as a Jpg. However this conversion is actually editing by the camera manufacturers engineers to produce a Jpg image which In their opinion matches the actual scene without ever seeing the scene as you or I see it.

However a Raw file is exactly that, the basic image without editing by the manufacturer, so must be edited by the consumer.
There is however a massive difference between editing an image and manipulating an image. Editing is essential with a raw file and allows us to adjust the image so that it looks natural. However some people overdo the editing and this may look fake. Getting the balance right is what you should aim for.

Noise is apparent in your example, unfortunately noise is a price we pay by using digital, but should not be as apparent as in your photo, The full exif would help to determine the problem, assuming there is one,
Would you confirm that the sample you provided is a 100% crop, or are we seeing an enlarged section of the image. Noise will always be apparent if you pixel peep.
I suggest you upload a Jpg with full exif.

Harry