View Single Post
Old 30-01-10, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
Andy as you have tweaked the printer profile it maybe worth backing up the new one and re-installing the original profile as a test. For grey scale work it will use black ink only, but for colour work the shades of grey are a mix of all colours (Although some print setup will allow you to specify that black in used instead, sometimes know as GCR (Grey Component removal)). I know from experience getting the mix right without a cast is a problem especially when viewed under different lighting conditions.

For those who are interested, an insight into what is in a printer profile. Colour is a 3 dimensional object and the colour mapping is done through a 3 dimension array (tables of numbers). This array is often referred to as a colour cube. Each corner of the cube represents white, black, yellow, cyan, magenta, red, green, blue. The first attachment is a simple illustration of a colour cube. The cube has 3 co-ordinates (x,y and z) to represent a colour position within the cube. Think of each box holding a number to represent a colour. The number of positions in the cube depends on the size the array. Low end desktop printers are typically 7x7x7, 9x9x9 and high end commercial work 11x11x11 or 17x17x17. The size of the profile file is a good indicator of the size of the colour cube. 50Kb low end and up to 2Mb high end. The act of profiling is to modify the table values to the corrected colour for each position within the cube.

In the second attachment the green line passes through all the grey shade positions within the cube from black to white. The act of profiling may have changed some these grey position values to introduce the cast in question.
Well researched and good info you have found.

This Is all good when setting up you office and having everything bang on. It wont' solve the problem as from experience its the printer or inks. In the past I have had the green cast using an epson then swapped to my canon printer (great bit of kit and only used for the payed work) and the image was fine i then swapped printers again did what i have already mentioned and jobs a gooden.

I am off on holiday after today so good luck with it hope you get there in the end.
If all else fails buy a canon although prints do tend to fade quicker.

Just realized Rob, You took your time replying to this thread, It was posted on 22.1.10? Hmmm odd.

Last edited by Inyourface; 30-01-10 at 10:20.