View Single Post
Old 10-04-08, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
your equipment and more is a must for anyone who wishes to follow your path and also for those like me who just wish to take photo's to enjoy.
Andy, are you talking about my equipments?
Quote:
But I have to admit I will continue to have fun with them.
You must and for two reasons. One, to know those products better and two, to teach us more about them.
Quote:
So now for a lot more practice with the Wacom, I saw your point about fine tuning the pen and am working on that.
Yes, it’s a fantastic tool for almost every single image application. Be vector or raster.
Quote:
Thank you again for what I consider a Master Class in photography and for opening my eyes to more possibilities. Andy
. What I do in my professional life is fight a cutthroat game. Most of the professional photographers here have very little idea about offset printing. They try to do their own image correction before handing over those images to their clients. Problem starts from that point. We get absolutely hard contrast images in 8 bits. It becomes a mammoth task to bring them back in some shape. It’s not always the case but most of the time. What looks nice on a monitor may look totally different after processing and proofing. What looks correct in my monitor may look disastrous on pre-press setup. An acceptable balance has to be there. Through applying one filter one may get a better tonal value from a burnt face. And it may look perfectly ok on monitors, especially in small size. But what gives us that confidence that it’s perfectly ok for a huge blow-up? There’s no change in tonal value from face to other exposed part of the skin?
These are all my assumption. May be that particular software has taken care of all these issues. Only time will tell. And of course your playing with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
In the film days I was primarily into Technical Pan ( b&w ) and colour was primarily transparency Kodachrome 25 & 64 and Fujichrome 50. That all suggests fine grain and high resolution were my drivers.
And in India it was problem galore. Kodachrome use to come out like OROWCHROME from the labs. I remember sending Kodachrome to Germany for right processing. We used to wait for weeks like expectant father for the results. Fujichrome 50 and Velvias of the world were easy in comparison. E6 and Tetanol were the saving grace.

Along came WPF before which I had spent most of my time in the previous few years Model Engineering so took very few pics.
Quote:
even to the point of making adaptors to allow the use of old enlarging lenses for macro. This probably marks me out as the WPF oddball.
And how! How many of us can think of making an adaptor for practical usage?
Quote:
After a bit of experimentation I discovered the difference between RAW and Jpeg and decided I had to always shoot in RAW.
One of the most practical discovery if I can say so. Joint Photographers Expert Group format was created for small image discussion via internet.
Quote:
Along came NX and I was happy as it is so easy to pick up. Quality of posted images improved.
I believe most of the camera makers software are good. Only we don’t explore them properly. Though no great shake…I still use my Canon Digital Photo Professional only for raw/tiff thingy.
Quote:
No cash to spend, so no Wacom tablet or other processing progs so it will all have to be done with what I currently have. But then thats the challenge.
Do not spend a farthing Don for now. I don’t have Wacom in my office machine. Purely to keep in touch with mighty mouse

Andy, I come back to the same as I said before. Keep this thread alive. Requesting every member to pitch in. Guys, all your views are important.