View Single Post
Old 17-12-06, 10:07

Default i-TTL (or equivalent) optical triggers solved

I think the spirit of this thread is to provide studio quality results using bare minimum equipment and lots of brain power.

I have been reading with interest some attempts to use i-TTL or equivalent with optical slave triggers. My initial experiments confirmed that preflash triggers the optical triggers leaving the test shot very much underexposed. A result found above by others.

I thought of a few things to solve the situation by inhibiting preflash from triggering the slaves. I wont bore with the ideas but the final solution was simple kitchen roll used to attenuate light picked up by the optical triggers. I found that a single layer laid across my triggers did the trick. Attenuating enough of preflash not to be effective but allowing main flash to trigger the slaves. Of course a positive result would be a whited out exposure becuase i-TTL could not predict the output of the slaves.

Photos below....

Pic 1 wrapped double layer of kitchen roll, this proved too much attenuation as main flash did not trigger, I knew I was on to a winner.

Pic 2 Jackpot! using a single layer of kitchen roll placed over the optical triggers

Pic 3 as pic 2 but slave flashes switched off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg initial try.jpg (28.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg i-ttl triggers.jpg (10.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg kitchenroll.jpg (36.3 KB, 13 views)