View Single Post
Old 27-12-05, 01:03

But because it dominates the industry, people just have to learn it anyway. I can almost forgive Adobe its outrageous pricing (compare Photoshop with most other major software packages, it's about double the going price for a full-featured heavyweight.

I wouldn't agree that photshop is either overpriced or a particulalrly difficult system to master. it is in fact an advanced Digital Signal Processing suite. In the DSP world the only real packages that it can be compared with are the industry standard LabView and autoCAD which are at least three times the price. For many years I used Corel Photopaint 8-10 which is in many ways similar to photoshop but CS2 not only provides image manipulation but also an advanced file and tracking system. I have over 60,000 pictures on 800GB of disc and CS allows me to pull out any picture in a few seconds. I can't think pf any other package that offers this felxibility.However I would have to say that Photshop is much more user friendly in a dual monitor set up. Also Photoshop is cheap compared to a wet darkroom. If you add up the cost of a decent enlarger, lenses, colour analyser and 16"x12" colour processor you won't see much change out of £1500, so~£500 for the digital equivalent seems good value to me.