View Single Post
Old 11-02-06, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
This afternoon I did some photography and processed a NEF in NC beforehand I allowed windows to manage VM and moved NC temp file to primary master which did not require defragging. I dragged an image from windows thumbnail into NC and did seem a bit faster. Its hard to tell but operations seem around 10% faster but conversion to TIFF and pass to CS too 2.5 minutes. Every image is different and some have been taking 90 seconds or so. A big leap found from not using NC's multiviewer. The gong shot (posted in gallery today) took 2.5 minutes and in that time I monitored task manager and found:-

Processor totally max'ed out at 100%
Little change is RAM and VM usage
NO to minimal disk usage

I believe that NC's conversion algorithm is very processor dependent and I think my biggest speed improvement will come by replacing or overclocking my existing CPU. The fastest CPU my motherboard will accept is an AMD 3200+ Barton. I believe should provide 25-30% gain but cost approx £125.

One thing I am tempted to try is having no VM page file forcing NC to use RAM and overclocking my CPU to 2800+ to provide 10% improvement.

I set no VM once in windows 98 and goosed the computer so I am a little nervous doing this again but logic is tempting me.

Don't you need high performance memory to overclock?

I once tried tweaking my memory settings in BIOS to improve performance but the PC became unstable.