View Single Post
Old 14-04-07, 08:08

Al,

I can't add much advice on the general photographic technique beyond what has been stated above. However, one of the things Don taught me (by way of gentle critique) is that subject preparation is vital for the kind of subject you are photographing here.

Flash and smooth reflective objects are very unforgiving of dust, dirt and fingerprints. The tiniest mark will show up like a sore thumb. Use gloves, clean your subject thoroughly, clean the surface it is placed on thoroughly.

You can take shots of "Master" quality with the equipment you have, it will take a lot of practice and time, but it can be done. As well as the ad-hoc accessories you have listed, a bit of card covered in tin foil can be useful, as Don has suggested, a bit of black card and black cloth (I use a pair of Mrs Y's black velvet trousers) are handy. Also, I've found a tupperware bowl and lid can be put to good effect as diffusers. Sellotape and/or assistants are useful as you never have enough hands to hold things in place.

Duncan