View Single Post
Old 28-01-10, 17:59

A bit of jumping between the two threads as I try to get a handle on this.

Resolution ........ Be it digital or film this is highly dependant on the quality of the lens. So if the lens is less than top notch it matter not a jot what the resolving power of the medium is. This also applies when we wet print ( enlarger lens ) or scan a negative or transparency ( scanner lens ).

The next problem with film in terms of resolving power is that the best are also the slowest. When I was on Tech Pan ( 12 ASA ) or Fuji Velvia ( 50 ASA ) the camera was mounted on a heavy tripod to make use of that resolving power. So for a lot of people talking about these low ISO's is not living the the world they photograph.

How is the image to be viewed. This is the biggest question. Printed to say 10 x 8 then I doubt you would notice any difference. Print to 20 x 16 then things will start to show. The first ones being technique and the quality of the lens used.

So for any real discussion, Alex, I think you need to give some guidance on .... print size and optics quality. Also are we in medium format or 35mm territory. A bit of a non starter it if its 35mm, as in that format my D2X will give Tech Pan a run for its money so I have no worries about stacking it up against 35mm Velvia.

Don