View Single Post
Old 29-01-10, 03:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
KR proves that an old Kodak Retina IIIc with Velvia 50 and professional lab scanning is sharper than a Canon 5D!!
Quote:
KR link. Well he is a fav of mine when I want a laugh but I will go through it in the spirit of this thread.
I thought I would give the KR link a second look. Another example of a seriously flawed comparison.

Alex where does KR "PROVE" that the Kodak scan result is better than the 5D ?

At the beginning he makes a statement that a film scan from a Rebel looks better than a 5D. He provided no evidence to support the statement or outline of the test conditions. If the film scans are at 5039 pixels x 3339 pixels he should really compare it against a 5D Mk2.

Further down the page is a comparison between the Kodak and a Nikon D3.

To start with do we know what processing has been applied to the professional scans. i.e sharpening, levels etc.

Next it does strike me that there is a marked difference in the lighting conditions between the two shots when you look at the tree shadows.

Thirdly the Kodak is using a prime lens and the Nikon a zoom lens, applying a completely different transfer function to the image before it hits the film or sensor. The lens and lens setting should be transferred between the two bodies so that the lens transfer function is identical in each case.

The Nikon image has been re-sampled to enlarge it by 18% so that it matches the scanned film image size. This will have an effect on the Nikon image quality. One could ask why did he not down size the scanned image to match the Nikon image ?

Lastly there is no information on the Nikon D3 image pre-sets with regards to noise reduction, sharpening, contrast etc. Was Raw or Jpeg used ? The image does look as if some heavy noise reduction has been applied.

The trouble with these sorts of comparisons is that the images can always be tweaked in such a way to support your arguments. If the comparison was under controlled conditions by the likes of Photozone I would have more confidence about the reported outcome.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated