View Single Post
Old 29-01-10, 03:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
You know, I've never actually needed to develop any film myself. I haven't been in the hobby all that long but I always pass it over to a lab, it's expensive but convenient. If you specify 'no mods' you get pretty damn good results for 0 time and effort.

Scanner--you don't need one to appreciate pictures. For showing to people I stick prints in an album, far faster than digitising, sorting etc. I only scan when I want it to be on this site, and that's a very small percentage.
If your not doing your own darkroom processing or electronic editing what is the difference between taking a roll of film or memory card to the photo lab ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
Good quality optics are sometimes so cheap it's almost stealing. As a case in point: the old manual focus Nikon lenses along with the Zuiko line for OM series. Both cost on average a fraction of the price of, say, a Canon EF-S lens while giving great results (not to mention the large apertures that give consumer zooms a run for their money).
Yes, great if your subject matter is not that demanding i.e static subjects.
Try manual focusing on fast moving subjects at close range with a depth of field of only a few inches. The glass component is only a fraction of the story with modern lens. You get what you pay for.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 29-01-10 at 11:47.